So it’s New Year’s Eve and I can’t help but think about the year ahead. Naturally, we all want to be the best version of ourselves, and the New Year gives an opportunity to reevaluate who we are, where we’re going and what it is we want to achieve.
I have so much I want to do in 2017, the usual stuff you know; get fit and healthy, read more, cook more, learn a language, but most importantly, be the happiest me I can.
I’ve been making an eclectic list of tips for living your happiest life, and I thought in the spirit of New Year, I’d share them with you here.
- Wake up earlier! I love to lie in, but apparently the happiest people wake up a good few hours than the rest of us. People advocate early rising, saying it gives them some quiet time to themselves and helps them make the most out of the day. I can see how this would help minimise stress and give a sense of control over the day ahead.
- Develop a morning ritual! I guess this goes hand-in-hand with Rule 1. I’ve read that lots of successful people have developed their own morning rituals, something completely personal to them, that makes them feel ready for the day. An example would be, repeating a mantra, taking a walk, even reading another section of a book.
- Visit a body of water! Probably impossible to do everyday, unless you’re lucky enough to live by the sea or a lake or river. Everyone knows how relaxing it can be just to watch and listen to the water, it’s the perfect chance to just let your mind relax and destress. Plus being around nature is always refreshing.
- Exercise more! Yeah, I know, so original. But no one can deny the amazing, and necessary effects of good old fashioned exercise. You release endorphins and lower your risk of developing a plethora of health complications. Get fit, look fiiiiiine.
- Be thankful! Pretty much every article and interview I’ve looked at cites the importance of being thankful and grateful for what you already have, rather than waiting for someone or something else to make you happy. It is true that we all have so much in our lives that we could appreciate more, there’s always something to be happy about.
- Break up your goals and targets into small achievable challenges and celebrate every milestone! This makes a lot of sense to me and is definitely going to be something I adopt. It can often feel like you’re so far away from achieving your goals that you never will, but if you work towards them bit by bit, with achievable weekly goals, then you’re going to feel like you’re making progress. Finally, celebrate! Don’t take the good times or your achievements for granted, and make the most out of all your successes, no matter how small. Be proud of yourself, and try not to compare yourself to others, your journey is your own.
Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2017 brings you all your heart desires and more, I wish you good health, fun, friendship and family! Lots of love xx